Answered By: Emily Bell
Last Updated: Apr 01, 2016     Views: 210

Harvard has a borrowing agreement with MIT. Harvard FAS affiliates can apply for MIT access and borrowing privileges with this form:

The graduate and professional schools have their own arrangements. Consult their web pages for information.

We don't have reciprocal agreements with most other colleges and universities, with a couple of local exceptions. Contact Widener Privileges to ask about specifics, or the Access Services department of the appropriate Harvard professional school in the case of graduate and professional school libraries.

If you're out of the Boston-Cambridge area and want to visit another school's library, first check their website for access information. Some libraries will admit the public, while others will admit students and/or faculty and sometimes staff of other institutions, or researchers with specific needs.

Some areas have resources like the New York Public Library's "The Research Library," described as "a scholarly, university level collection open to the public." You can check online or call around locally to find out what's available near you.

If you are at Harvard and wish to borrow material held by other libraries, please see Get-It Services.


Contact Us