How do I search HOLLIS with a numeric identifier such as an ISBN, DOI, PMID, or OCLC number?
Enter just the number (no spaces, no letters) into the search box.
HOLLIS’s main search box accepts common numeric identifiers such as ISBN, ISSN, DOI, PMID (PubMed ID), and OCLC numbers. It also accepts HOLLIS numbers, which are the unique identifier assigned to each Library Catalog record.
- Searching by ISBN, etc., is convenient but not exhaustive, as many HOLLIS records do not include the relevant numeric identifiers for the item.
- Call numbers and barcodes are not searchable this way.
- To search by local call number, use Code:Local Call Number
- To search by Library of Congress call number, use Starts with/Browse
- To search by barcode, go to Advanced Search and select the “barcode” option next to Everything and Library Catalog
Have another HOLLIS question? Our HOLLIS User Guide provides an overview of HOLLIS's features and functions.
Harvard Library is closed for the Thanksgiving holiday. We will return to our usual hours on Monday morning.
Chat is intended for brief inquiries from the Harvard community.
If you are not affiliated with Harvard but have questions about Harvard library materials, send us an email to connect with someone who can help.
Email us using our online form. It's monitored by library staff and we usually respond within 24 hours Monday through Friday.
Harvard only: Talk to a librarian for advice on defining your topic, developing your research strategy, and locating and using sources. Make an appointment now.
If you are not affiliated with Harvard, please do not use this form. For questions about library materials, send us an email to connect with someone who can help.