Why am I getting HOLLIS results that don't include all of my search terms?
I looked at all of the record details and my search terms aren't there.
While it is generally true that HOLLIS searches only the words that display in the record, there are a few exceptions specially designed to improve your search experience.
If you don’t see your search terms in a record that was included in your results, it is likely that one of the following is true:
- your search terms included a common misspelling or an alternate spelling of a word that does appear in the record
- your search terms matched to a separately linked table of contents
- the record includes a common synonym for your search term
- your search terms matched a hidden cross-reference
More about HOLLIS’s hidden cross-references:
- These include updated subject terms and alternate names. For example, a search for “landscape architecture” will return this master’s thesis on landscape architecture, even though those terms are not present in the displayed record. This is because HOLLIS has cross-referenced the name “Harvard University. Urban Design Program” to the name “Harvard University. Department of Landscape Architecture. Urban Design Program.”
- Cross references can be accessed via the underlying record source: select “View Source (MARC)”
- If you encounter a problematic cross-reference:
Have another HOLLIS question? Our HOLLIS User Guide provides an overview of HOLLIS's features and functions.
In observation of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, our services will be unavailable on Monday, January 18. There may be a slight delay in our responses to inquiries received over the weekend. If you're experiencing an ongoing technical issue when you attempt to access library materials with your HarvardKey, please report it to Library Technology Services.
Chat is intended for brief inquiries from the Harvard community.
If you are not affiliated with Harvard but have questions about Harvard library materials, send us an email to connect with someone who can help.
Email us using our online form. It's monitored by library staff and we usually respond within 24 hours Monday through Friday.
Harvard only: Talk to a librarian for advice on defining your topic, developing your research strategy, and locating and using sources. Make an appointment now.
If you are not affiliated with Harvard, please do not use this form. For questions about library materials, send us an email to connect with someone who can help.