How can I find movies in HOLLIS or through the library in general?
For streaming video, check out our guide to Streaming Video @ Harvard.
If we don't have the streaming version, we may have the DVD. For specific titles, you can usually search HOLLIS for the title and limit to Form/Genre: DVD/Videodiscs on the right side of the screen as needed.
There's no perfect way to just browse for a movie in HOLLIS, but here's a simple method that usually gets results.
- Go to HOLLIS (before entering a term into the search bar, choose the Library Catalog- not the Everything-- tab.)
- Search on words and phrases like "Queen Latifah" and DVD.
- You can also just search for "DVD." There will be tens of thousands of results.
- Use the side limiters to select Form/Genre: DVD/Videodiscs as needed.
- Experiment with other side limiters like language, subject, etc. to narrow the field.
On campus but don't have a DVD player? You can check them out at the Circulation Desk in Lamont Library.
Other ways to find movies on campus:
- Most Lamont DVDs are available for general browsing on Level A.
- The Film Studies Library has a collection of films in various formats for viewing (in the library).
- Some of the professional school libraries have recreational DVD collections, like Law.
- Many of the houses have their own movie collections.
Beyond Harvard: Many public libraries have streaming services for local residents. Check out the websites of libraries local to you in the Cambridge area or elsewhere.
Monday - Thursday 9am-9pm
Friday - Saturday 9am-5pm
Chat is intended for brief inquiries from the Harvard community.
Reach out to librarians and other reference specialists by email using our online form. We usually respond within 24 hours Monday through Friday.
Talk to a librarian for advice on defining your topic, developing your research strategy, and locating and using sources. Make an appointment now.
These services are intended primarily for Harvard University faculty, staff and students. If you are not affiliated with Harvard, please use these services only to request information about the Library and its collections.