Renewal (Library Materials)
This FAQ answer has several sections. Scroll down to see headers.
How can I renew library materials? Most materials can be managed in your library account. Once you’ve signed in to HOLLIS with your Harvard Key, click on Your Name, then on My Account/Renew.
Do I have to renew online? Most Harvard libraries will not renew by phone, email or fax.
Exceptions to online renewal:
- Reserves must be returned to the Circulation desk when they are due. Reserve renewal policies differ from library to library, so contact the Circulation desk or ask when you check out the item.
- Other short-term lending items like laptops, cords, cameras may not be eligible for renewal.
- Recalled material cannot be renewed.
- Renew ILL materials the same way you order them- click on Submit an Interlibrary Loan Request.
Can I renew Reserve items online? Reserve items cannot be renewed online. Usually, if there are multiple renewal copies and an additional one is available when you return the one you have to the front desk, you can renew the item at that time.
How many times can I renew? Most material can be renewed up to five times online; at that point, the material must be brought back to any Harvard Library. If you wish to keep something after five renewals, you can have the Circulation staff member there return and check out the book to you again. At that point five more renewals will be available to you.
Please note that a few libraries place a greater limit on the number of times you may renew a book. To learn about a specific library's renewal policy, consult the library (contact information).
For the renewal of library access, contact the Library Access and Borrowing Office.
- Ask a Librarian, including chat and email, will be suspended from Saturday, May 26 through Monday May 28, in observance of Memorial Day. Questions received during this period will be answered beginning Tuesday, May 28, 2023.
- If you're experiencing an ongoing technical issue when you attempt to access library materials with your HarvardKey during these times, please report it to Library Technology Services.
Chat is intended for brief inquiries from the Harvard community.
Reach out to librarians and other reference specialists by email using our online form. We usually respond within 24 hours Monday through Friday.
Talk to a librarian for advice on defining your topic, developing your research strategy, and locating and using sources. Make an appointment now.
These services are intended primarily for Harvard University faculty, staff and students. If you are not affiliated with Harvard, please use these services only to request information about the Library and its collections.