Creating links for course readings on Canvas sites: for instructors and other course staff
Our primary recommendation for readings on the course website is always Harvard Library Course Reserves. If we have online subscription access to an item, the Course Reserves staff can create links in your Canvas site. Students simply click and log in.
- Library Reserves Quick Guide for Instructional Staff
- Avoid any question of copyright/Fair Use or licensing violations (because of individual login).
- No need to manage or maintain links or .pdfs yourself.
- Course Reserves staff will try to acquire material needed for your course if we don't already have it.
If you choose not to use the Course Reserves service, the next best option is using the Permalinks in HOLLIS and HOLLIS databases to link directly to the item.
- The permalink is one of the options under "Send To" in each HOLLIS listing.
- This is the most stable way to link to these materials at this time. Other methods can introduce access issues, creating inadvertent barriers to students as they try to get to their readings.
- Course staff will have to manage and maintain the links in Canvas, but copyright/fair use and licensing requirements are met without risk.
If we do not have online access to needed course materials:
- Course Reserves staff can try to acquire it for you.
- Consider posting the .pd or other format if it's in keeping with copyright and Fair Use.
- That the material will be posted in Canvas and used for a course does not automatically make it Fair Use. You can submit an inquiry to ask.library.harvard.edu and ask for a Copyright First Responder for more guidance.
In observation of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day our services will be unavailable on Monday, January 18. There may be a slight delay in our responses to inquiries received over the weekend. If you're experiencing an ongoing technical issue when you attempt to access library materials with your HarvardKey, please report it to Library Technology Services.
Chat is intended for brief inquiries from the Harvard community.
If you are not affiliated with Harvard but have questions about Harvard library materials, send us an email to connect with someone who can help.
Reach out to librarians and other reference specialists by email using our online form. We usually respond within 24 hours Monday through Friday.
Harvard only: Talk to a librarian for advice on defining your topic, developing your research strategy, and locating and using sources. Make an appointment now.
If you are not affiliated with Harvard, please do not use this form. For questions about library materials, send us an email to connect with someone who can help.